Sunday, January 29, 2012

I have a 1998 VW Jetta that continues to run after the key is turned off--not diselling, running. Any ideas?

This doesn't happen every day, but has been happening more frequently lately. When it continues to run with the key off, the warning lights all come on as well, just like they are when you first turn your key on to start the car. The dealer changed the ignition switch, but that has not cured the problem. The only way I can stop the car from running is to put it in gear without giving it any gas %26amp; kill the engine. The dealer seems puzzled %26amp; so am I. Sounds like an intermittent short, but so far no luck in finding the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.I have a 1998 VW Jetta that continues to run after the key is turned off--not diselling, running. Any ideas?I feel certain that the ignition switch is sticking, even after you turn off the key, the rod raises inside the sreeting column, but the switch does not disengage, this is MY best guess, and I HAVE seen it happen before!

Blessings

Steve-OI have a 1998 VW Jetta that continues to run after the key is turned off--not diselling, running. Any ideas?I used to have an 84 Mustang 4-speed that did the exact same thing. Seemed to me like it was related to the clutch, which went out shortly after that problem started. I never fixed it, I just sold the car and never heard if it kept doing it once the clutch was replaced. The car also had a bad carburetor, which your newer car doesn't have. You could always call up a transmission/clutch shop and see if it's something they've dealt with before. Another thing that comes to mind is the fuel pump relays, that could be the culprit.I have a 1998 VW Jetta that continues to run after the key is turned off--not diselling, running. Any ideas?That's definitely a bad ignition switch.I have a 1998 VW Jetta that continues to run after the key is turned off--not diselling, running. Any ideas?
Bad ignition switch, or something in the linkage.
  • florida drivers license
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment